Lost & Found
PLEASE use this guide. It has worked for others and it can work for you!Last Update: 2/19/17
Search the Neighborhood -Walk and/or drive through your neighborhood several times a day. Early morning and sunset are prime times. Talk to anyone whom may have seen your cat or dog, such as joggers, mail and newspaper carriers.
Notify Others - Call your veterinary clinics, especially those who offer boarding for cats and dogs. Injured pets are often taken to a veterinarian for care prior to transfer to an animal shelter.
Use the Power of Scent -Place a recently-worn article of clothing in your yard; for litter box trained cats place their box outside. Familiar scents can bring your cat or dog home.
Advertise - Post fliers all around your neighborhood, including major intersections and at all public places. Place an ad in the classified section of your local paper (see reference to D&C below). Offer a reward. Contact WVIN 98.3 to list with their Pet Patrol.
Post on Facebook - there are many lost and found facebook pages in our area. See links below.
Don't Give Up! - Keep searching even when you have little hope left. Cats and dogs who have been lost for months have been reunited with their owners.
Click here for additional tips from PetRescue.com
Websites with more tips and/or where you can report a lost/found pet:
Bugsy's Animal Network - has a Lost and Found Pets Resources link under the Miscellaneous section on their homepage. It has a comprehensive list of websites and Facebook pages. We've listed a few Facebook pages further down on this page but all are listed here also.
Rochester Craigslist - lost + found under community
Pet Bond -can make a lost and found flyer with this website
The following sites are for birds:
911 Parrot Alert - Select "Report Lost Bird" or "Report Found Bird" in left margin.
Contact the following:
- All local Animal Hospitals
- Greece Animal Control - 585-581-4025
- Humane Society of Victor (Lollypop)- 585-223-1330
- Rochester Animal Services - 585-428-7274
- Democrat and Chronicle - Place a 3 line, 3 day found ad for free. There is a charge for lost ads. Place ad online or call 454-1111 M-F 8am-5pm.
- Post to GRASP Pets Lost & Found page. If you don't use Facebook email Christle and she'll post it for you. Please provide:
- At least one photo.
- Date went missing or was found.
- Street or area you live in and zip code.
- As much detail as possible: breed, color, sex, etc.
- Spayed or neutered?
- If a cat, is he/she declawed?
- Wearing a collar?